Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hen of the Wood





Hen of the Wood in Waterbury, VT is one of our favorite spots to visit on our way up to ski at Stowe. On our first trip up there a few years back, we stopped because Hen of the Wood received a lot of great press. Eric Warnstedt, executive chef, has been nominated for numerous local and nationwide awards. The food is sourced locally, and the menu changes daily. Located in an old mill building, from the moment you walk in, you feel an authenticity that's hard to explain. While the ambience is beautiful, particularly the outdoor area, where you can watch a waterfall and listen to its soothing sounds, the food is what shines the most. I started my meal with hen of the wood mushrooms, a potato hash, and a soft-boiled egg drizzled with a little truffle oil and sea salt. I immediately mixed all the ingredients and the flavors were stunning, salty and savory, and simply delicious. The local, fresh, and perfectly cooked, egg yolk was bright yellow and super creamy. Hen of the wood mushrooms offer such an incredibly earthy and meaty flavor - not like any other mushroom I have ever consumed. 


My main course was a special of the day: pork tenderloin, braised in mustard and sage, on a bed of purple cabbage and parsnips in a mustard reduction sauce. I don't think I have ever had pork tenderloin cooked so perfectly in my entire life. The meat was spectacular in quality and flavor, and while I liked the mustard marinade, it didn't need it, the meat could have been served on it's own, smoked, with a little salt and pepper. The cabbage added a little too much sweetness, but the parsnip puree was rich, buttery, and the perfect accoutrement.

Pork Tendorloin

While I wish we were able to squeeze in dessert, this time around, I was simply too full on food and wine! If you are in or near the area, this is a must visit spot. Everything about the entire experience here will leave you happy, relaxed, and satisfied. 

A shot of our table
Wine rack






















Hen of the Wood
www.henofthewood.com
802-244-7300

Address:
92 Stowe Street
Waterbury, VT

Hours: Tues. - Sat. starting at 5:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment