Monday, March 5, 2012

Home Cooked Valentine's Day Meal

I am going to take a brief interruption from our California food adventures to highlight a special meal. Thus far, I have only spoken about our dining out, however, I want to make this something different than a restaurant review site. I hope to have occasional posts about about recipes, wines, and other interesting dining related experiences. So now onto my first home cooked meal post.
Chris and I love to cook, we just don’t do it as often as we should. After being away for over a week (hence all my West Coast postings thus far), we were both dying for a home cooked meal. Valentines Day dinner’s are generally Prix-fix menus and sub par service. So…Chris cooked up a delicious meal. 
We started with a whole wheat personal pizza, with Gorgonzola dolce, fresh mission figs, baby arugula, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar that we picked up in Italy. I thought the dough was crispy and salted well. The figs were so fresh and the balsamic added just the perfect amount of acid and sweetness. The arugula added a subtle peppery flavor that I love. My only complaint, the pizza’s needed more Gorgonzola!
image
Second course was a whole wheat pasta with cauliflower sauteed in garlic bread crumbs and parmigiana. Pasta was cooked perfectly, and seasoning was spot on. 
image
Last but not least…he made a vanilla blueberry custard in a whole wheat vanilla tart. If I didn’t eat so many sweets on our California vacation I could have eaten many of these little tarts!
image
Thanks to my amazing husband for a special home cooked Valentines Day Meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment